Friday 27 June 2014

A place in Africa

Mum arrived in South Africa just after World War II, barely into her teens and never having had much exposure to sunshine.  Her younger brother, never having seen a Banana before, tried to open it with a pencil sharpener...!  Africa was very much an adventure for them all.

The family had been living in Luton, England during the war, while my Grandfather (Charles) fought in a few places, but mainly on the island of St. Helena.  It was en-route there that he discovered a love for Africa - and the opportunities that were on offer to a relatively humble family from working-class England.

One of the qualities that I have always loved about my Mum is her ability to see 'creatively', but without prejudice.  Africa for her was all about colour, sunshine, vibrancy ... it was exotic.

I have inherited that child-like love of life.  I don't buy into the old "I don't see people's colour" argument - it is ridiculous.  But don't be frightened of those differences - revel in them. Rejoice in the things that make us different. Make us special.

And so it was that Mum began a period of her life that would last almost 60 years in this new country.  You can see her love for the country and it's people in her drawings.


As an ex- 'Saffie' living in the UK (full British citizenship & very happy here), I have many wonderful memories of the country and it's people - and I celebrate it for it's exceptional beauty, variety and specialness.


No country is free of the idiots who cloak their greed, selfishness and hubris under the cloak of 'politician' ... and boy, has SA got a few special ones ... but judge a country by it's people.



I like to think of my old country as personified by a man I met several times - I even worked with him once or twice - and who shared the same unwanted guest (prostate cancer).

He is irrepressibly bubbly, raucous, noisy, colourful; he can be quite harsh and doesn't suffer fools gladly (something else we share) - but he has the biggest heart, he radiates warmth, kindness and generosity of spirit - and always sings with his eyes.


That's how I like to remember Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you'd like to add a comment, or send a message to Mum - you know where the keyboard is .... get typing!