Thursday 26 June 2014

Lovin' Life...!

As my family & friends know, I was born in what was then called Rhodesia (which had declared independence unilaterally, hence my British passport at the time of my birth), moved to South Africa when I was one year old ... and spent most of the first 30 years there.

At the turn of the new Millennium, I packed my bags and, with Julia and the children, flew the nest off to find adventure, happiness and, hopefully, fortune.  So far, so good...

Here's how Mum saw my departure...


Now, some 14 years after having settled into the UK - specifically into the lush landscapes of Windsor, Eton and Ascot - I came across a fun 'questionnaire' in a friend's Blog.  Janet is a friend from school. In another two years I will have known her for 40 years...!

Anyway, I have watched Janet's journey over the past few years via her Blog, Facebook and email and it has been an amazing journey. Be proud girlfriend - you are a very special lady and an inspiration to many.  Also, I don't remember a time when she looked as good as she does now - the benefits of finding your 'second wind' in life.  Leave behind the bad, go after the good ... and all that!


 So, I thought I would complete this little survey here, to see how my life has changed over the past years.

1.        What time did you get up this morning?   9am (but I'm effectively on holiday!)
2.        How do you like your steak?  Medium
3.        What was the last film you saw at the cinema? The Grand Budapest Hotel ... bit strange but fun!
4.        What is your favourite TV show?  Probably NCIS - love the Gibbs!
5.        If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?  Right here - Windsor/Ascot
6.        What did you have for breakfast? Toasted Bagel & honey
7.        What is your favourite cuisine?  Mediterranean / Italian, especially in Italy!
8.        What kind of food do you dislike?  Shellfish - they don't like me...
9.        Favourite place to eat?  A small little restaurant, under the Rialto Bridge in Venice
10.     What kind of vehicle do you drive?  Mercedes ML350. Deep Blue. Magnifico!
11.     What are your favourite clothes?  Work uniform - good suits & tie;  Casual - jeans & cashmere  (I'm in touch, OK..!)
12.     Where would you visit if you had the chance?  A million places - next up, probably the Aurora Borealis somewhere in the Arctic Circle!
13.     Cup ½ empty or ½ full?  Usually I'm a 'right in the middle' guy, but working on the 1/2 full attitude
14.     Where would you want to retire?  Right here!
15.     Favourite time of the day?  5am when the sun comes through and the birds whistle at me
16.     Where were you born?  Bulawayo, Rhodesia (Zimbabwe)
17.     What is your favourite sport to watch?  Hmm.  Not a massive Sports fan, but probably ice-skating or Olympic Gymnastics.  But I watch most sports
18.      Bird Watcher?  When I'm in the garden.  Not a Twitcher.
19.     Morning or night person?  Probably Morning if I had to choose
20.     Do you have pets?  Vicariously ... daughter's Spaniel, son's two cats...
21.     New and exciting news you'd like to share?  Um ... not yet!
22.     What did you want to be when you were little?  Bigger!
23.     What is your best childhood memory?  Difficult to choose. Probably horse riding in the Drakensberg
24.     Are you a cat or a dog person?  Cat - learned all I know about women from them!
25.     Are you married? Yes (twice)
26.     Always wear your seatbelt?  Yes
27.     Been in a car accident?  Several small bumps, nothing serious
28.     Favorite pizza topping?  Don't really eat them any more unfortunately, but Chicken, Bacon & Feta does it for me...
29.     Favorite Flower?  Rose
30.     Favorite Ice-cream?  Pistachio.  Or Vanilla.
31.     Favorite Fast food restaurant?  No longer a Fast Food eater.  Probably Yo! Sushi or Nando's at a push
32.     How many times did you fail your drivers test? Zero. Passed at around 11am on the day I turned 18!
33.     Who did you get your last email from? Work - Imogen, one of my agents;  Home - my wife, confirming a restaurant booking at Gordon Ramsey's new restaurant  (too much..?)
34.     Which store would you choose to max your credit card on?  Don't do Credit Cards any more.  But probably Bang & Olufsen or Mont Blanc (a personal weakness)
35.     Do anything spontaneous lately?  Decided to sell house & move into an apartment (ongoing...)
36.     Happy with your job?  Some days (roles) are diamonds, some more coal-like
37.     Broccoli? Yup. Especially coated in butter, or with a cheese sauce (bad for me!)
38.     What was your favorite vacation?  Too many. Could be Maldives, Venice, Beckenridge near Aspen, .... or the week touring the Karoo with two spectacular nights in Graaf Reinet...?  (I'll post a pic of the special coffee & cheesecake below)
39.     Last person you went out to dinner with?  My wife!
40.     What are listening to right now?  L'Enfant by Vangellis.  But could equally have been Puccini, Wings, Rumer, Caro Emerald, Stevie Ray Vaughan, or Yemenite Songs by Ofra Haza....  Variety, the spice of life!
41.     What is your favourite colour?  Purple  (royal blood..?)
42.     How many tattoos do you have? None. Too many people have too many bad tattoos ... can't trust most people with good design.  Would have to be something really special!

43.     Coffee drinker?  Cafe Latte thanks.






1 comment:

  1. Oh Michael ... I just know I am going to enjoy reading your blog! What a talented lady Mum is :) ... and to have a talented son! Thank you for the kind comments!

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to add a comment, or send a message to Mum - you know where the keyboard is .... get typing!